Home » Other » Client Tools » Connecting to another DB. (SQL Navigator 5.5)
icon5.gif  Connecting to another DB. [message #280184] Mon, 12 November 2007 13:51 Go to next message
k_sekhar_rao
Hi,

I want to do a select from one client of a DB to a another DB using sql navigator..
I have the details like username/password/instance name of the DB instance name. FYI...I don't want to use the option of DB link, as i have constraints for creating DB links. I want to do a select of another DB and then insert to my local DB.

Please let me know the syntax for the same. In SQL Server, we could do that, but not sure in Oracle.

thanks in advance,
Sekhar
Re: Connecting to another DB. [message #280194 is a reply to message #280184] Mon, 12 November 2007 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I can tell, database link is the only way to do it "live".

Another option might be taking an export of the remote schema and import it into your database; doing so, you'd avoid database link and the only thing you need is GRANT SELECT.
Re: Connecting to another DB. [message #280205 is a reply to message #280194] Mon, 12 November 2007 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soumen Kamilya

You can also do one thing you can Export the query result into a file and then import it to you own database using sqlloader (if you do not want to run normal export/ import utility for full schema or table).
For that you have to write a normal script.

Cheers
Soumen
Re: Connecting to another DB. [message #280265 is a reply to message #280205] Tue, 13 November 2007 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK, another step into the right direction: create a CSV file as a select from the remote database and use it as external table in your schema.
Re: Connecting to another DB. [message #280480 is a reply to message #280265] Tue, 13 November 2007 16:57 Go to previous message
k_sekhar_rao
Thanks for your replies.
I am already using the mentioned options. Thought of knowing if there is any other way to do a select.
Previous Topic: SQL*PLUS generated abnormal file size.
Next Topic: SQL* error on cline machines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 15 23:19:18 CDT 2024