Home » Server Options » Data Guard » oracle instance naming in a dataguard setup
oracle instance naming in a dataguard setup [message #680015] Fri, 17 April 2020 10:00 Go to next message
rjw_mpwr
Hi, all:

I ran across a dataguard setup like the following, which seems to be odd to me.

the DG set up has two data centers, let's say, east and west. it is a 2 node RAC at each site.

db_name=cooldb
db_unique_name=cooldb_east, cooldb_west

but the instance names between east and west are the same.

select instance_name from v$instance -> cooldb

the oracle processes between east and west look exactly the same. ora_smon_cooldb1, ora_smon_cooldb2

according to oracle doc, oracle_sid for rac can have up to 12 characters. so, there are enough space to make the instance name unique between east and west.

What do you guys think? Is it odd?

personally, i would set up this way:
db_name=cooldb
db_unique_name=cooldbe, cooldbw
oracle_sid would reflect the db_unique_name, my processes would like ora_smon_cooldbe1, ora_smon_cooldbe2, ora_smon_cooldbw1, ora_smon_cooldbw2. Isn't that easier to understand?

thanks
John Wang.

Re: oracle instance naming in a dataguard setup [message #680017 is a reply to message #680015] Fri, 17 April 2020 12:42 Go to previous message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use code tags and make your code easier to read

I prefer what you do not like: The same instance names each side. Just like having the same OMF and FRA directories on each side. If I keep the primary and standbys as similar as possible I find there is less possibility for error with operations such as switch over. However, it is only my preference and I do understand why some DBAs prefer a clear distinction.

Up to you, man!
Previous Topic: Oracle dataguard limitations what is best
Next Topic: Unable to connect stand by
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:16:49 CDT 2024