Home » Server Options » Replication » Pre-Requisites For Oracle Advanced Replication (Oracle 11gR2, Window Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Service Pack 1)
Pre-Requisites For Oracle Advanced Replication [message #664872] Wed, 09 August 2017 09:16 Go to next message
WhiteWalker
Hello Everyone,

Greetings.

I have a few questions regarding Oracle Advanced Replication -

i.) Do the database architectures need to be the same in terms of schemas, tables and table structures at all the master sites in case of multi-master replication?

ii.) What are the essential initial parameter settings for setting up a replication environment?

iii.) In master-materialized view environment, as per my understanding from reading the Oracle's Advanced Replication documents, each materialized view group at a materialized view site corresponds to a master group at the master site and each materialized view corresponds to a master table at the master site. Does it mean that we can only create materialized views based on a single table in a materialized view group?

iv.) In case there are two databases different in architectural organization, what should the approach for replication? For instance, currently I am administering synchronization between two database servers. One of the servers has multiple user defined schemas while the other one has a single user defined schema. The tables are nearly the same having some differences between the numbers, names and sizes of the columns. Currently I have created an intermediate schema at each of the database. In that intermediate schema at each database, I have created materialized views against the master tables at the other database. I have created procedures that detect the differences between the master tables and the corresponding materialized views and then write the data from the materialized view to the master tables. Currently we are working in an environment where the approach I am following does not lead to conflicts as one type of entry is being done at one single point. But from future perspectives, I am looking for a cleaner and a safer way.

Re: Pre-Requisites For Oracle Advanced Replication [message #664875 is a reply to message #664872] Wed, 09 August 2017 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It seems to me that Streams would be a better solution for your kind of problem.

Re: Pre-Requisites For Oracle Advanced Replication [message #664886 is a reply to message #664872] Thu, 10 August 2017 02:03 Go to previous message
John Watson
The docs are clear on all your questions. The whole point of Advanced Replication is that the tables are identical in structure and content at both sites.

There is some very bad news: Oracle has de-supported Advanced Replication in release 12.2. Stream is still supported, but deprecated. This is all part of Oracle trying to push customers towards use of the licensed product GoldenGate.
Previous Topic: Replication push jobs not pushing jobs data to other databases
Next Topic: DML operations not applying on target database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:55:54 CDT 2024