Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA - 01017 invalid username/password while creating a shared public database link (Oracle 11gR2, Window Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Service Pack 1)
ORA - 01017 invalid username/password while creating a shared public database link [message #664864] Wed, 09 August 2017 07:08 Go to next message
WhiteWalker
Hello Everyone,

Greetings.

I have two Oracle instances on the same machine orcl and rtl. I am trying to create a shared public database link from rtl to orcl connecting to a schema named makess in the orcl database. In the rtl schema however, there is no such schema by the name text_schema. If I create a normal public database link without marking it as shared, I am able to create the database link. As soon as, I mark the database link as shared, it gives me ORA - 01017.

In another case I'm creating a shared public database link from the rtl database to a remote database connecting to a schema transfer_mms which does not exist on the local database i.e. rtl and the database link is getting successfully created.

I am using toad to create the database link.

/forum/fa/13601/0/
Re: ORA - 01017 invalid username/password while creating a shared public database link [message #664866 is a reply to message #664864] Wed, 09 August 2017 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Your GUI (whatever it is) does not seem to prompt you for enough information. Shared links require an authentication clause. For example,
orclz>
orclz>  create shared public database link spdl connect to scott identified by tiger
  2  authenticated by system identified by oracle
  3  using 'orclz';

Database link created.

orclz> select * from global_name@spdl;

GLOBAL_NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORCLZ

orclz>
Re: ORA - 01017 invalid username/password while creating a shared public database link [message #664867 is a reply to message #664866] Wed, 09 August 2017 07:39 Go to previous message
WhiteWalker
Dear Mr. John,

Thanks a lot for your immediate response. I tried it and it is working. However, the first time, I tried to authenticate the link by some user other than System and it did not succeed. If I want to authenticate the database link using some other user defined schema, do I need to issue some grant on to the schema?.

Once again, thanks a lot for the immediate response. You're a saviour.. Smile
Previous Topic: Oracle: ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA"
Next Topic: setting of environment variables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:57:46 CDT 2024