Home » Other » General » Oracle licensing worst (12g)
Oracle licensing worst [message #664841] Tue, 08 August 2017 06:53 Go to next message
preet_kumar
Its sad to say that after using Oracle for long time we are now moving out of Oracle to another DB because of Oracle worst license policy.

We are moving our virtual systems to VMWare V-Center VM's(2CPU) and as per Oracle license policy instead of 2 CPU we have to pay for the 50 CPU of the V-Center which we are not using and this is unacceptable.

Every organization now moving towards cloud and if Oracle does not change their license policy then soon Oracle will be history.

Thanks everyone here.
Re: Oracle licensing worst [message #664842 is a reply to message #664841] Tue, 08 August 2017 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Haven't you noticed that Oracle has been trying to move customers to the Oracle Cloud for some years now? You can also use Oracle on AWS and Azure clouds no problem. There is no necessity to buy on-premises licences.

Many people complain about licensing on VMware. The problem is not really Oracle's, it is that VMware does not offer hard partitioning. If you use (for example) Xen it isn't a problem.
Re: Oracle licensing worst [message #664843 is a reply to message #664841] Tue, 08 August 2017 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
I tend to agree. Oracle is not doing themselves a favour with their difficult to understand, draconian and ever changing licensing policies. Many companies are looking for (or have found) alternatives. I just hope they come to their senses before it's too late.

Hard partitioning is, apparently, not good enough any more. Everything that touches the same SAN (in a VMWare context) must be licensed for Oracle as well, because it "can possibly" run there and is hence considered as "installed".

You may want to study VMWare's view on Oracle's interpretation at
http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/solutions/oracle/understanding_oracle_certification_suppo rt_licensing_vmware_environments-white-paper.pdf
Re: Oracle licensing worst [message #664863 is a reply to message #664843] Wed, 09 August 2017 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar
So Mr Watson you are saying if we use Oracle then we are also bound to use the Cloud platform which Oracle approves like AWS and Azure and we cannot choose any private Cloud ?

As you mentioned that there is no problem with Oracle licensing on Xen but strange Oracle sales person said we have to even pay license of the entire CPU's even if we use Xen hard partitioning.Also please show me one Official link from Oracle which mentions that Oracle licensing works with Xen.
Re: Oracle licensing worst [message #664865 is a reply to message #664863] Wed, 09 August 2017 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Ask them to put it in writing. If you hard partition with ZEN (or OVM) you should only have to license the CPU's that you use. However, you can expect them to round it up if you only use a fraction of a CPU.
Re: Oracle licensing worst [message #664868 is a reply to message #664863] Wed, 09 August 2017 07:52 Go to previous message
John Watson
I can never understand why people talk to Oracle sales droids. You will get much better advice if you buy from a reputable Oracle partner. I work for a good one Smile
Previous Topic: installing oracle 11g for oracle 8i Enterprise edition license
Next Topic: Help me to understand MVD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:38:16 CDT 2024