Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » not receiving email notifications when posts replied to
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617576 is a reply to message #617502] Tue, 01 July 2014 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have been going around in circles on the Microsoft help forum regarding not receiving emails
from this OraFAQ forum. Various moderators insist on communicating via PM only and all are
asking the same questions about whether I made any changes to my Outlook account or my OraFAQ
profile and having me double-check everything. I keep telling them I haven't made any changes
to either and have double-checked everything and it worked previously.

I have finally been told that Outlook.com has probably blocked emails from OraFAQ for some reason
and have been referred to the following section for troubleshooting, which appears to be for OraFAQ
to check if it has been blocked, not anything that I can check.

https://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617577 is a reply to message #617576] Tue, 01 July 2014 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Every decent Email server logs EVERY message that goes into or out of their server; much like Oracle's listener.log

Just as an uninvolved observer, either the message gets to the MicroSoft server, or it doesn't.
I don't know if MS "filters" incoming messages; say by refusing to accept delivery from "known SPAM source" (again should be logged)

I knows answers are available if you can ask the correct folks who have direct access to the MTA (Mail Transport Agent) log files.

My experience & intuition says that the root cause resides in MS land; since Orafaq has no reason why it should filter or block any message that originates from here.

I just wanted to share my knowledge & thoughts with you; since a couple of decades ago I was a SENDMAIL administrator.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617578 is a reply to message #617577] Tue, 01 July 2014 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Yes, it is obvious that Microsoft's Smartscreen must be blocking emails from OraFAQ. I have asked them to confirm if that is the case or not. As you said, it should be easier for them to confirm that than for me or Frank or whoever to try to figure this out. I have previously provided the email that OraFAQ messages come from to them, but they block it in their public forums, so I have to send it to a moderator via PM. However, oddly, there is no way to PM a moderator unless that moderator has sent me a PM that I can reply to. Each time, I have received a PM from a different moderator. So, I am waiting for the latest moderator who contacted me publicly to PM me, so that I can reply with the email again. So, I am waiting to see what happens next, but not holding my breath. This is not the only issue since my Hotmail was converted to Outlook and their forums are full of various unresolved complaints and you can't get through on their chat help; It just suggests that it is too busy and that you try again another time. I am more concerned about what other emails from other people I may not have received, without either me or the sender being aware of it. So, although I am still trying to resolve this, I am leaning toward selecting another email provider.

Just to clarify things, what the folks at Microsoft Outlook.com are suggesting is that OraFAQ may be doing something or failing to do something in such a way that causes the Microsoft Smartscreen to block the emails. So, they are suggesting that OraFAQ check their credentials and such. It would be nice if Microsoft would check on their end and confirm if that is true and provide the reason.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 July 2014 20:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617579 is a reply to message #617578] Tue, 01 July 2014 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> they are suggesting that OraFAQ check their credentials and such.
Balderdash!
Any & every MTA should start out accepting emails from remote server; since any & every remote IP# could be a possible email sender.
Since it is their server, their rules prevail & they can block (not accept) messages from specific servers or domains.
However, the sender should be notified that the blocked message did not get delivered; but the sender has no guarantee that any such notice will be sent.
The sending (Orafaq) MTA should be able to determine whether or not any error exists for messages originating here going to MS-land.
If no errors exist at this end, then MS-land cleanly accepted message delivery from ORAFAQ & MS-land is responsible for the non-delivery of any missing emails.
SMTP is a well defined & robust protocol. Message do not go blindly missing without any trace.
It just take some who know the innards of SMTP & has access to the log files of the MTA that runs on their server to shed some light on this mystery.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617694 is a reply to message #617579] Wed, 02 July 2014 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Even though I have already added noreply@orafaq.net to my contacts and safe list, I have now been advised by the latest Microsoft forum moderator to add @orafaq.net to my safe list, then re-test. So, I have added that.

So, would somebody please reply to this post, so that I can see if this works or not.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2014 12:46]

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617695 is a reply to message #617694] Wed, 02 July 2014 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
OraFAQ_test_email
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617696 is a reply to message #617695] Wed, 02 July 2014 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
But my personal and honest suggestion is that you must at least give a try to GMAIL.

Of course, for your personal use, otherwise I have had always used OUTLOOK as email client wherever I worked in my professional career since I was compelled to use it by the organization. Its just my personal suggestion Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2014 13:05]

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617705 is a reply to message #617696] Wed, 02 July 2014 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Thanks for replying. I still did not receive an email and have posted the same on the Microsoft Outlook forum. I am still trying to resolve this before resorting to switching my OraFAQ email to a gmail account, which I have already acquired.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617706 is a reply to message #617705] Wed, 02 July 2014 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

I have setup gmail ID more than year now.. but I see email notification not working recent days

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617709 is a reply to message #617706] Wed, 02 July 2014 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I just received the following on the Microsoft Outlook forum:

Quote:

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us. We understand that you are having issues with receiving emails from @orafaq.net. We have checked on the domain and verified that it does not have SPF record which may possibly cause this issue. We would like to inform you that if the sender's domain does not have SPF record configured/set up in the domain's registrar, Hotmail or Outlook.com detects the email as potential fraud since it was forwarded from 3rd party IPs.

With this being said, we advise you to contact the domain administrator of orafaq.net to check if there is an issue on their end and to inform them about their domain not having SPF.

We appreciate your understanding with this. Feel free to post back should you have other concern.

Regards!

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617710 is a reply to message #617709] Wed, 02 July 2014 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617714 is a reply to message #617710] Wed, 02 July 2014 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

My bad.. today's notification email was in Gmail SPAM folder.. Not sure why moved to spam
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617718 is a reply to message #617714] Thu, 03 July 2014 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
babuknb wrote on Thu, 03 July 2014 08:42
today's notification email was in Gmail SPAM folder.

Most of us have faced the issue and got it fixed by marking the OraFAQ email as not spam. For me the issue started from 24th midnight IST.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #622904 is a reply to message #617718] Mon, 01 September 2014 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
It's been 3 days now, I haven't received any email notification.

The last time, I myself figured it out that the emails were going into spam folder. But now, I did all preliminary checks, however, no clue about email notifications. I have an observation, 4 days ago, I recieved bulk email notifications from OraFAQ, which had information dated back to 2 weeks.

Is anybody else facing similar issue now? Barbara, what about you? Is your issue resolved now? I am now depending on control panel.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #622905 is a reply to message #622904] Mon, 01 September 2014 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Everything fine for me but I don't use gmail...

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #622906 is a reply to message #622905] Mon, 01 September 2014 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Michel, thanks for the reply.

I never had such an issue where I didn't receive any email notifications from OraFAQ. I will update my email address from gmail to my official email id. Our office(Oracle India) network is completely open for any incoming emails.

I will observe for one day to verify if gmail is the culprit this time.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #622909 is a reply to message #622906] Mon, 01 September 2014 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
My issue is still not resolved. I am still not receiving automated email notifications from OraFAQ to hotmail. Last I heard Frank Naude was still trying to figure out how to resolve the sender policy framework issue. I am also checking the control panel from time to time. I also have gmail, but haven't changed my OraFAQ profile to send emails there instead of my hotmail account.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #669975 is a reply to message #622909] Sun, 27 May 2018 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Almost 4 years after I started this thread, I finally received an automated email notification when someone replied to something I posted on OraFAQ. This happened shortly after some major automated Microsoft Windows and Outlook update that seems to have changed a bunch of things, so I am guessing that they changed something that now allows emails from OraFAQ. I am curious whether OraFAQ changed something, like finally resolving the credential issue. Was anything changed on OraFAQ recently that might have affected emails? Is anyone else now receiving emails that previously did not?

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #670089 is a reply to message #669975] Mon, 04 June 2018 10:41 Go to previous message
admin
Administrator
No, nothing changed on our side. Glad it's working now Smile
Previous Topic: Forum upgrade fails
Next Topic: Missing post describing [code] tags
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:14:23 CDT 2024